When trying out high-end audiophile gear, we’ve all relied on the subjective listening test, placing our focus on how we perceive the sound more than it’s objective merit. After slaving away with the latest digital-to-audio conversion technology and weighing prototypes against every scientific audio test, JDS Labs has released the standalone ObjectiveDAC, made in tandem with YoYoDyne Consulting and famed head-fi.org contributor NwAvGuy.
Dismissing any modern audiophile myths and starting from scratch, the ODAC team began with the ESS Sabre ES9023 DAC chip and tested every variable on every additional part. Operating at 24 bit resolution to sustain sound quality even when you lower the software volume, the ODAC achieves reference quality sound across a variety of levels and can stand up to four figure converters in a blind listening test.
With jitter reduced to negligible amounts thanks to a dual power supply, a natural frequency response of +/- 0.1 dB, and self-generated audio clocking, the ODAC pumps out entirely transparent audio when used in tandem with a headphone amplifier. It’s built to be integrated into JDS Labs’ O2 amplifier, but any quality amp will do. On this drop, you’ll have the option of Black or Silver models with standard 3.5 mm analog output jacks or a Black model with additional RCA output jacks.
- Frequency response- +/- 0.1 dB (10 hz – 19 Khz 24/44)
- Dynamic Range- > 110 dB A-Weighted
- Distortion- < 0.005%
- Audio Formats- 16/44, 16/48, 16/96, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96
- Inputs- Mini-USB
- Output- 3.5mm (or RCA), line level
- Power- Self-powered by USB
- Case dimensions- 3.9 x 2.5 x 0.5 in (99.0 x 63.0 x 13.0 mm)
- Weight- 2 oz (56.7 g)
- THD+N 100 hz 0 dBFS - 0.0029%
- THD+N 20 hz –1 dBFS - 0.003%
- THD+N 10 Khz –1 dBFS - 0.003%
- IMD CCIF 19/20 Khz –3 dBFS - 0.0011%
- IMD SMPTE –1 dBFS - 0.0004%
- Noise A-Weighted dBu 24/44 - -102.8 dBu
- Linearity Error -90 dBFS 24/44- 0.0 dB
- Crosstalk 0 dBFS Line Out 100K- -93.5 dB
- USB Jitter 11025 hz J-test 24/44- Excellent
- Maximum Output Line Out 100K- 2.0 VRMS
- Interface- USB, Audio Class 1
- Native Driver OS Support- Windows XP & Later, OS X x86, Linux
Domestic and international orders will be shipped by Massdrop.
Estimated time until product ships: 10 business days after the drop end date.