I'm about to embark on a fun project to build a 3 (or 5?) day survival kit for my household in Berkeley, CA. The primary reason for this is to use when "the big earthquake" hits.
I was wondering if people wanted to give me suggestions on cool stuff to get/include in the kit. Here are some initial thoughts:
1) I'm generally price insensitive (within reason). I wouldn't be surprised if this kit ends up costing $2500.
2) I'm against having a firearm (I accept there are some practical reasons for this, it's just not my thing.)
3) I plan to include a sat-phone in the kit
4) I want to plan for mobility, i.e. have the kits in large containers, but also have backpacks in there so I can pack up and move if needed
5) I'm thinking 2 separate kits in 2 parts of the house, in case one becomes inaccessible when parts of my home collapse.
6) We have 2 adults and 2-year-old at home.
I've literally done zero research into this, going to start now, likely going to try to post updates here, and would love to hear people's suggestions on cool/useful things to include (ideas/concepts, or specific products)
Thanks for your time, wish me luck!