Community Mega Thread: Beauty
Beauty is a huge community of passionate individuals and we already have good examples of these on places like Reddit and private forums. It’s the kind of community with the basic traits we all can recognize in ourselves as enthusiasts. A strong desire to find the qualities of what makes something the “best,” an intense curiosity into the components/ingredients, and a deeper understanding of how they work.
This community actually has a history on Massdrop and was once present on the site a few years ago by working with the users of /r/MakeupAddiction. At the time we encountered many obstacles in the makeup industry when we went to try and get products for the community.
This time, however, we are taking a different approach. We’ll be starting with Asian beauty products with a focus on Korean and Japanese products. Instead of makeup, we will be focusing on skincare products before slowly moving into other categories in Beauty. To get this going, we’re working with the community over at /r/AsianBeauty to find the most desired products.
How can Massdrop help members interested in Asian Beauty products?
There are several ways we think we can help with Asian Beauty products:
We are very excited about this community and have been working hard to make this a part of Massdrop. We’ve created some polls for Asian Beauty products for the community to vote upon and express their opinions.
- Get the products: We are already talking to vendors in Korea and Japan to source the products we have seen talked about excitedly in this community.
- Eliminate the language barrier: One of the key focuses for us is to remove the difficulty and ambiguity that currently exists for a lot of people. We will work to provide clear descriptions of the products and ingredients such that it is easily understood by everyone in the community along with any newcomers.
- Provide support: We focus a lot on working directly with the community and listening to them and want to make sure that the community is getting the products that they want. We are available through Customer Support channels and also have discussions on every ‘drop’ where you can interact directly with us and your fellow community members.
- Provide samples for testing: There must be some brands/products that you want to try and test, but did not want to take the risk of buying. We want to provide members of /r/AsianBeauty with the samples for testing so that they can review them and help the community learn. We also want to help as much as possible and plan to help with product testing such as pH with hopes to someday be able to verify ingredients.
- Share insights about Asian Beauty products: We’d love to create educational content with all your help so that we can show members from other communities what Asian Beauty products are about. We are also working with YouTubers and sending them different samples to test so they can make videos that help introduce new products and/or educate new and existing members of the community.
UPDATE (April 7,2017): Beauty drops will begin next Wednesday, April 12.
UPDATE (Mar 17, 2017): Beauty as a new community will launch in 'Beta' starting March 24. It'll be released with only the 'Talk' and 'Polls' tabs so we can get community feedback on products. We will start launching drops later and we'll keep everyone updated throughout the process.
New To Massdrop? Ask Questions Here!: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1181/new-to-massdrop-ask-your-questions-here
New Communities Ideas & Poll Thread: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1095/new-communities-ideas-poll-thread
How Massdrop Decides on New Communities?: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1094/how-massdrop-decides-on-new-communities
What Is Massdrop Hub?: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1093/a-new-place-to-explore
Help Desk for New Users: https://helpdesk.massdrop.com/hc/en-us