DIY/MYOG - Massdrop Pine Down Blanket Modifications
We designed the Pine Down Blanket to stand alone as an amazingly useful, versatile blanket. Additionally, I had a secondary goal of making it incredibly desirable for our members who love to customize their gear. The value of the raw goods is more than we're selling it for. I've already been working with Aaron Sorensen on ideas (he's known for modding Costco Down Throws), and I'll post our ideas here too.
With a little cutting or sewing, you could make:
So let this be the place where can share our ideas and (eventually) our projects for modifying this blanket.
- A lighter backpacking quilt with tapered legs and more snaps, straps or a zipper. Maybe add a #3 zipper and turn it into a sleeping bag.
- A California King size blanket by sewing two togetherl
- A 10F blanket or quilt by layering one quilt on the other, offsetting by 2.12" so that the peak channel of one blanket falls into the baffle of the other, thereby forming a solid 3" thick layer.
- Snap two together to create a hammock overquilt and underquilt.
- Cut it in half and make it into two underquilts for hammock camping.
- Turn it into a pair of quilts for toddlers.
- Use the raw materials to make something completely different, like a few down jackets and hats.