American and "American" Watches
Someone asked me "Let's get so-and-so an American watch. Any advice?"
There is no easy answer to this question, especially if you don't want to go into the whole story of the watch industry, debate over manufacturing location, material origins, and trade law.
The real question I'm being asked, is what watch is convincingly "American" enough?
Is this the case where Shinola is the answer? Or is a mil-spec watch? Or is it a legacy brand like Timex, Hamilton?
Are American watches...
Here are a few brands that strike me as "American" in one way or another:
RGM, Weiss, Detroit Watch, Luminox, Timex, Shinola/Fossil/Filson, Marathon
- US based brands
- US founded brands
- Brands once associated with the US
- Assembled in the US partially or completely
- Marketed only in the US
- Marketed as American-inspired
- Watches having an "American identity" or strong association with the US
- Watches that are exceedingly popular in the US
- Watches that are exceedingly difficult to find outside the US