Well, it’s a long, multifaceted question.
I’ve found myself in a bit of a unique situation and I’d like some Massdrop wisdom.
- I bought the Massdrop x Cavalli CTH in anticipation of an Elex drop. I read that they pair well
- Elex drop never happened, but I found an “open box” sold by Blinq via eBay.
- The Elex arrived with Elear pads (so basically black Elears) and the CTH tube blew almost immediately.
- Massdrop offered a return because they could not send a tube (which I have not taken) and Blinq gave me a $100 partial refund to find new pads.
- I managed to get ahold of a Gold Lion tube from a friend, which works, but I’m just not thrilled with the sound. It seems lean and harsh.
- I found replacement pads on MD, thank goodness.
Considering what I have already dumped into this and could spend to make it “right,” I can’t decide what to do and I have only a couple days to decide before MD closes the return offer. I otherwise think that I will enjoy the Elex, but was hoping for a true “super HD650” sound. What I currently have seems very far from it, but I’m not certain of it’s because of the tube and/or complete lack of burn-in. I did once have yet regrettably sold HD650 and Bottlehead Crack. I liked the combo, but it still felt that I wanted something more vibrant, articulate yet still warm. Hence the Elex purchase. So what do I do?
1) Wait and see: buy a different tube, burn it in and eat the cost of the tube and possibly the entire amp if I don’t like it?
2) Return the CTH and get an amp that hopefully works and suits my tastes better at the expense of time and likely more $ for the new amp? FYI I have a Mimby so don’t care for a DAC/amp now.
2.5) What the hell amp works best with Elex for a warmer tilted sound signature??
3) Start Fresh? Fire sale and go with HD6XX and an awesome tube amp (which effectively brings me right back where I started with this whole adventure. Haha)
4) (Enter amazing idea from Massdrop users here).
5) Build a Bottlehead S.E.X. w/ C4S (~$575) which will be like the Crack but awesome with any headphones st the risk of f$cking it up like I did the Crack.